Wednesday, August 26, 2015

Dinner plans: Chicken a la Zuhlsdorf!

Several weeks ago, I saw this recipe on Father Z's blog, and fixed it; and it was unbelieveably good!

So tonight I'm doing it again.

Sorry, no pictures; I was under a rush to get it in the oven in time.

Admittedly, I did tweak it a little. I omitted "extra zest"; I just stuffed most of the lemon inside the chicken; and in addition to pepper on the outside, I added salt. How can salt hurt?

Meanwhile, I got out some fresh spinach, which I bought Wednesday, which I'll saute with some garlic and olive oil, and then finish with some Parmesan cheese. I've made that many times.

I have Mass at 7, so I hope I can get to eat some before then. We'll see!

Update, 8:51 pm...

Ok, the chicken got in the oven late, so I had to turn down the oven during Mass. Around 8:15, I brought it out, here it is:


And here's the plate, with the sautéed spinach, and a glass of leftover wine:


Verdict?

The delay was not kind to the chicken. It was a little over cooked. Not. Bad, but...it could have been much better. The spinach was delicious. The skin was excellent!

6 comments:

rcg said...

Still looks great. Could you have made a gravy to offset the dryness? If you can't stand it, I'll eat the leftovers for you. ;-).

Fr Martin Fox said...

I could have made gravy, but by the time I got to dinner, I was rather impatient.

All is not lost, however; I'm due to make some soup (I have bags of stock materials in the freezer), so I think that will be the destiny of this bird.

rcg said...

Or a stew! Pressure cook the bird and get the last of the meat off the bones then add the goodies to simmer. Fun With Chicken.

Jenny said...

I love it when you cook--One can almost smell the aromas!

Jennifer said...

Great! I love your cooking stories!

Paul said...

Guessing, I would say that Fr. Z. got the recipe from the chef who made it for him either in Rome or Paris. I live a marvelous life vicariously through Fr. Z.